playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jury Duty Update

So my Jury duty experience was cut short as well as Cody and Crew's Boy's day. So after sitting in the holding room for an hour and a half they moved us to the court room for the actual selection process. The Judge explained that we were dealing with a drug possession case and from the moment he said it I couldn't help but think, this person is so guilty. it is so obvious if the cop found it on her it is possession, DUH!

So they lawyers had 25 of the 43 or so of us sit in the jury seats and they asked us questions, of course, I get called up to the seats. There were a few people who were excused because they new the prosecutor or they had similar cases going on in their own life's and felt they could not be fair in this case. A few had been excused for hardship of the case going for a few days. Through all of this questioning I tried to think of how I could be fair in being able to think that there was a way for this woman to possibly be innocent. But it just seemed so plain to me and maybe, that is just me being closed minded or not trusting in someone how was accused of have drugs I don't know. Anyway the Lawyer asked if there was anyone who thought that they might have a problem with sitting on the jury panel and being completely unbiased. So I raised my hand and told him that right from the beginning I thought "yep, she is guilty!" and after a few more questions he and the Judge and the defendants lawyer decided that they would go ahead and excuse me. The Judge said maybe they would call me back up if there were a theft case or something like that.


So I got done at about Noon. So we got in the car and went into Brighton and did some shopping had dinner and got Cody a new cell phone. All in all not a bad day.

One more thing tell me what you think.
One of the questions the Lawyer asked was, "is there anyone who's Religious or personal beliefs would prevent them from judging another and serving on the jury?" So my question is if we are told, "judge lest ye be judged" but we are also told to obey the laws of the land and jury duty is our civic duty, what do we do?

Annie

4 comments:

Emily said...

Good question. I honestly don't know what I would have done. Hope I don't have to ever find out! I tagged you too, go to my blog for details.

Trish Griffee said...

Uh... What do you do? I'm thinking I'd take the cop out with the no judging deal!

By the way...you did not tell me you had a blog. I am a blog freak. What else am I supposed to do at work all day:)

KimWar said...

I think that when we talk about judging in our church, we mean rightous judging. For example it is OK to say that taking drugs is not OK, but if we were to assume that the person taking drugs was a crazy, stupid person then we're taking it too far and righteous judging. It's just my opinion, because I work at a hospital right now and take care of a lot of alcohol/drug related patients and it really bothers me, come to find out many of them started when they were 12 or 16... So I look at is as it's OK to "judge" and say that drugs/alcohol consumtion isn't OK, but no further. That's just how I look at it. I don't know if that answers the question or not.

KimWar said...

wow I just read my post and I made so many spelling errors, it's been a long day at work, I'm not even sure it makes sense. Oh well!