playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam...Teacher that is.


So Cody and I were called as Sunbeam teachers back in December, but they didn't need us until January. But because we were up north with my family for the first Sunday of the year and the next week we had stake conference, today was our first week teaching. We had a few criers, one that wouldn't sit in his seat and hit the other kids, one that actually fell through the back of his chair and luckily a couple that actually sat there with their arms folded through the lesson and answered questions. I was amazed by those two.

Then we looked and the clock after I was finished with the lesson and still had 30 minutes to kill...AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! With only a small piece of paper that they were to write CTR on I was a little worried about how we would fill all that time but with Crayons and a few blank pieces of paper we survived.

Next Week it is Cody's turn to teach hahaha good luck babe! Just kidding He will be great. I think that once the kids get use to us and we figure out some things to hold their attention we will really enjoy our class, and to be honest by the sounds of it we had the calm and quiet class. It sounded like they were playing a game of tackle football in the other sunbeam class.

We also had church at 9:00 and it was wonderful! Crew was as happy as a clam, having had breakfast and wouldn't be in need of a nap until we got home. We got home and all had lunch and a wonderful nap I love 9:00 church!

10 comments:

Bryt, Liz (Ed), and Ellie Christensen said...

Play dough....we are sunbeam teachers too and play dough with the little toys(scissors, molds, etc.) helps pass the time. Good luck!

The Payne Family said...

Hey Annie, we are sunbeam teachers too. We've been doing it for over a year now. It is the best calling in the world. We were so worried when we started but I promise it gets better. You definitely need play dough. We us play dough and cookie cutters to fill any left over time. We also practice walking to the drinking fountain every week. Gets their wiggles out and we practice being reverent in the halls. We also use a book that we found at deseret book called "primary helps". It was like $8 and it has a coloring activity for every lesson... it is awesome! Or there is a link on my blog called s "sugar-doodle" that I get alot of ideas from too.

Good Luck to you guys. It will get better, I promise. Things will settle down and the kids will love you guys!! Good luck!

Emily said...

I love 9:00 too! I didn't know you guys had been called as teachers. You will be great. JC surprised us yesterday by being pretty willing to go to sunbeams. Granted, it could have been a bit easier getting him there but it could have been A LOT worse. Sounds like he isn't alone though!

Annette said...

I always need good sunbeam teachers like you. Right now mine is on maternity leave. Do you want to come substitute in Philly for awhile?

Ashlee Whatcott said...

Congrats! Justin and I taught Sunbeams for a while and it was definately an experience! They are so fun though! Goldfish crackers were a huge hit. My "time filler" was a game called Guess what animal I am. The kids would act like some animal and the rest of them had to guess it. Not very spiritual I guess but hey it worked. God created animals right? Good luck!

Mickelle's Minute said...

I had this calling and I used bubbles and had a decorated box of stickers that they got to choose from if they were good during class. That seemed to work for me. Word of advice. They are too young for a matching game. I spent all this time making a cute LDS matching game and when we went to play it all chaos broke loose because they didn't understand getting matches and when someone else got their matches they had a meltdown! I did make a "pin the nose on the pioneer" game and they really liked that. Good luck you guys will do great!

Mindy Lamoreaux said...

You guys will be great! I remember those first few Sundays Dallas and I were teachers...oh man. Anyway, they love anything you can do to involve bean bags. I also bought 'Smiles" fruit snacks in the re-sealable bag and gave them each one or two at the end of class. That Sugardoodle website is great! Also, colored pencils worked better than crayons because our little ones thought it was great to break crayons in half not to mention them trying to unwrap them!

Don't forget I have that CD, too.

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great beginning - Aunt Barbara is also a Nursery teacher - your challenges sound similar - maybe you could 'join' forces.
Keep smiling -
Enjoy your sunshine - we are being 'buried' in snow today -
off to the temple

Semi Granola Mom said...

Jasmin's teacher always has something to color and cut out and then they bring cookies or a treat each week. Helps keep the kids good knowing there is a treat at the end ( and one can get away with it in Sunbeams, as they get older I know they discourage food )
Good luck!
~C

Erica said...

My husband and I are in your same situation. After my first week of teaching I wanted to go home and cry. My husband wasn't able to help me teach because he went to nursery with our twins ( it was their first time in nursery) The next time I taught was a little better. My sunbeams loved hearing the story of Daniel and the lions den. So I am going to try to tell as many stories as I can. Good Luck!
Erica in Nevada